Friday, August 29, 2008

Not all YA fiction is created equal

In the realm of young adult fiction, there are definitely different levels of goodness. I am a fan in general, but there are definitely some with writing that is less good or simpler plots.

I recently read Bras and Broomsticks by Sarah Mlynowski. I have read some of her adult books and liked them. Plus, I couldn't resist the plot about a teenager who develops magical powers.

It was a bit like a less interesting Sabrina the Teenage Witch. Plus, the main message of the book is that you can't use magic to fix or change anything in your life. I have to believe that's not true, otherwise, what's the point of having magical powers?

So it was only so-so. That said, I have already requested the next in the series. I have low standards.

0 comments: