Thursday, July 31, 2008

Didn't I used to love Marian Keyes?

Okay, so I would swear that there was a time I was a huge Marian Keyes fan, and that I had really liked a bunch of her books. So I was excited to get her newest one, This Charming Man, out of the library.



And yet, it was really not good.

I was quite disappointed. Did I only imagine I liked her books before?

She tries so hard to make the language sound authentic that it ends up reading like it was written from someone really unfamiliar with the English language. The speakers seem to lack any understanding of articles or transition words and say things like "Food delicious" which is very distracting.

Plus the book is about a horrible, horrible man who does awful things and then pretty much just gets away with it.

I don't know how to explain. Perhaps my standards were too high?

0 comments: