Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Hello, Kindle

I got a Kindle for Christmas. And I am in love.
I had my doubts, at first.

Oh no, I said, snootily. I love books. The feel of them, their smell, their pages. I don't even like reading things on the computer. I would never like a Kindle.

And it's true. I don't like the Kindle. I love it.

It's so light and easy to hold.

I forget I'm even looking at a screen.

When I lay with the baby and he's napping? No wrestling with heavy books and page turning. Just the gentle clicking of the "next page" button.

And when I want a book? It’s there in a few seconds. No more waiting for it to arrive – and I like immediate gratification.

Are Kindles going to be the downfall of books and reading? I hope not…but if so I may be going down with them.

4 comments:

LeahKS said...

Nooooo! Don't tell me this!
I'm still of the snobbery variety! I don't want to give up the library that I've been working so hard to establish in my spare bedroom!

As a high school English teacher, there's been discussion around here about putting the class novels on a kindle for each kid instead of having them stuff the school's copy of The Scarlet Letter or Pride & Prejudice in their backpacks. For that use, I'm good, but I still don't want to give in to the pressure of getting one myself!

Leisure Girl said...

I know...once you do, it's all over. I would feel bad if it weren't so great.

Claire said...

My only real Kindle problem is that I do most of my reading from the library, which isn't 10 bucks a pop. Otherwise, I would happy to take the Kindle for a ride. :)

Leisure Girl said...

I know...and it's easy to say "It's only ten dollars, but it definitely adds up." Damn my need for immediate gratification.